Originally published as part of a running liveblog at The Guardian.
Hours after van killed 13 people and injured 100 in Las Ramblas, seaside town of Cambrils hit by second vehicle attack, leaving one dead and six wounded.
What we know so far
The death toll of the attacks in Spain stands at 14 people. Those named so far are: Jared Tucker, 42; Ana Maria Suarez; Pipita Codina, 75; Bruno Gulotta, 35; Luca Russo, 25; Elke Vanbockrijck, 44; and Francisco López Rodríguez, 60. There were 130 people injured from at least 34 countries and 17 of them are in a critical condition.
Four people have been arrested, none of whom had previous links to terrorism, and Spanish police are searching for three more men. Five men have been shot and killed by the police after a second attack in Cambrils. Moussa Oukabir, the 17-year-old initially reported to be the driver of the van which ploughed into pedestrians on Las Ramblas, was among those killed, and police now suspect the actual driver is still at large.
The UK Foreign Office confirmed that it was helping a “small number” of British citizens and the prime minister said a child with dual British-Australian nationality is among the missing. His family have named him as Julian Cadman and issued online appeals for help in finding him.
Here is what we know about the related terrorist attacks that took place on Thursday and Friday:
- A man drove a van into pedestrians in Las Ramblas, killing 13 people and injuring 100.
- Spanish police are hunting for three men in connection with the attack, one of whom has been named as Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, who is thought to have driven the van.
- A minute’s silence was held in Barcelona’s main square, followed by several minutes of applause. Spain’s King Felipe and its prime minister, Mariano Rajoy, attended. A minute’s silence was also held at the EU buildings in Brussels.
- A seven-year-old British-Australian boy, Julian Cadman, became separated from his mother, who is in a serious but stable condition in hospital.
- Authorities say the subsequent attack in Cambrils is linked to the terrorist assault on Barcelona.
- Four suspects arrested on Thursday are being held on suspicion of links to the Barcelona attack, but police say none of them was the driver.
- A second van that was believed to have been used as a getaway vehicle for the Barcelona attacker was found abandoned in Vic, 50 miles (80km) away.
- The Spanish police are reportedly also searching for a white Renault Kangoo van which was rented by the Barcelona suspects on Thursday and may have crossed the border into France following the attack.
- Isis has claimed responsibility for the attack in Las Ramblas, but this could not be verified.
- A second terrorist attack took place in Cambrils, a coastal town around 120km from Barcelona, in the early hours of Friday.
- One person was killed and five bystanders and one police officer were injured – two seriously – when they were reported to have been deliberately hit by a car.
- The attackers were wearing fake suicide vests, according to Catalan officials cited by El Pais.
- Police officers shot dead five suspects, some of whom were wearing what appeared to be explosive belts. A single police officer was responsible for killing four of the attackers after his partner was injured.
- The five dead attackers were Moussa Oukabir, 17, El Houssaine Abouyaaqoub, 19, Said Aallaa, 19, Omar Hychami, 21, and Mohamed Hychami, 24.
- The Audi A3 used in the Cambrils attack was removed by police. Its back window was smashed and it was upside down.
- Javier Zaragoza, the head of the Audiencia Nacional, the court that deals with terror offences, said on Friday that those killed had no known links to jihadism.
- Officials are also linking the two attacks to an earlier explosion that destroyed a house in Alcanar, killing two people and wounding at least one more. Police now say they believe explosives were being prepared at the property, and were intended to be used in a terrorist attack.
- Alcanar is about 200km (124 miles) from Barcelona and 90km (56 miles) from Cambrils.
- Investigators are picking through the remains of the building where the explosion took place and are trying to ascertain if the two people who died in the blast were among the three suspects still at large.